The University of Akron – IHSC
The 11,000 SF Cummings Center for the History of Psychology project involved renovating the existing third and fourth floors of the existing 1915 commercial building. These previously unoccupied floors were transformed into archival storage, display galleries, classrooms, offices and support space.
A large section of the fourth floor was carved out to create a daylit two-story space to tie both floors together visually. The exterior improvements include a new canopy at the entrance, new metal panel and glass curtain wall infill, and color-changing LED lights. The Cummings Center maintains state-of-the-art storage facilities and classrooms, two galleries and a library open to the public. Additionally, The Cummings Center has been a member of the Smithsonian Institution Affiliations Program since 2002.