Kent Davey Elementary SchoolKent, Ohio
The Davey Building was Kent’s original high school, constructed in 1914. The building was converted to a junior high in the late 1950s and then converted to a middle school in 1967. As part of a $20,000,000 bond issue, the board of education committed funding to convert the school into a PK-5 elementary school to replace Central Elementary. The renovation/restoration cost $3,200,000.
The original industrial arts area and a 1967 ancillary small gym were converted into seven large PK classrooms with toilets. The large science rooms of the 1967 addition were converted to kindergarten classrooms with toilets and the original school was reconfigured for three classrooms per grade level plus six special education classrooms.
The original auditorium was restored and the original 475 seats were re-upholstered. New lighting and air-conditioning were added to the refurbished space.
The entire school received a new heating/air-cooling system with new technology infrastructure for every academic space.