Youngstown Public LibraryYoungstown, Ohio
The Youngstown Public Library was built in 1910 in a French version of the neo classical revival style. The East Wing Addition is connected to the historic Main Library by an enclosed atrium. The three-story addition is in proportion in plan and elevation to the original library. Care was taken to keep the scale of the building subordinate to the original.
The exterior is clad in limestone to match the original with modern detailing of the stone to express historic columns, bases, capitals and cornices.
The lower level houses the library departments of acquisition, processing, interlibrary loan, technical services, staff lunch room and restrooms.
The first floor contains the atrium which left the original east wall intact, main circulation desk, fiction, videos and staff work rooms. The second floor houses reference departments, government documents, reference librarian offices, and lounge seats.
The original library great reading room was restored to its original condition.